Kilarrow and Kilmeny
- KILARROW and KILMENY, a parish, in the district of Islay, county of Argyll, 10½ miles (S. S. W.) from Portaskaig; containing, with the villages of Bowmore and Bridgend, 5782 inhabitants, of whom 4026 are in the district of Kilarrow. These two ancient parishes, now united, are said by some to derive their names from the original founders of their respective churches; and are frequently designated as the parish of Bowmore, from the erection of the new church of Kilarrow in that village. The feuds which had so long subsisted in this quarter between the Macdonalds, lords of the Isles, and the Macleans, of the Mull, terminated about the commencement of the seventeenth century, in the succession of the Campbells of Argyll, whose descendant, W. F. Campbell, Esq., of Islay, is the sole proprietor of the lands. The parish, which is situated on the eastern shore of Loch Indal, is about seventeen miles in length and eight in extreme breadth, comprising 49,920 acres, of which 15,000 are arable, 1000 woodland and plantations, and the remainder rough pasture and waste. The surface, though generally level, is diversified with hills of moderate elevation, covered with heath and fern. The rivers are, the Laggan, which, taking a south-western course, falls into the bay of that name; and the Kilarrow, which empties itself into Loch Indal. There is a salmon-fishery on the Laggan. The soil is various, and on some of the farms rich and fertile. The system of agriculture has been much advanced by the spirited and liberal efforts of the proprietor; the pasture lands have been improved by surface draining, and large tracts of moor have been reclaimed and brought into cultivation. Furrow draining is growing into extensive use; a tile-work has been recently established for that purpose, and the drains have been partly formed by Mr. Campbell at his own expense. Great attention is paid to the rearing of sheep and black-cattle, and prizes for the improvement of the breed are awarded by an agricultural society, which has been established here for some years. The rateable annual value of the parish is £8888.The plantations are well attended to, and are in a tolerable state; the soil appears best adapted to the growth of hard-wood trees. Islay House, the seat of Mr. Campbell, is a handsome mansion, beautifully situated on the north shore of Loch Indal, in grounds tastefully laid out, and embellished with plantations. The villages of Bowmore and Bridgend are described under their own heads. The ecclesiastical affairs of the parish, which originally formed part of the parish of Kildalton, from which it was separated in 1767, when Kilmeny was annexed to it, are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Islay and Jura and synod of Argyll. The minister's stipend is £158. 6. 8., of which two-thirds are paid from the exchequer, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum; patron, the Crown. The parish church is an elegant structure of circular form, with a handsome spire, erected in 1767, enlarged by the addition of galleries in 1828, and containing 830 sittings. A church, also, has long existed at Kilmeny (which see), about seven miles distant; the minister has a stipend of £120. The parochial school, situated in Bowmore, is a commodious building, erected by Mr. Campbell; the master has a salary of £34, with a house and garden, and the fees average £25 per annum. Prizes for the most promising scholars were formerly awarded at the public examinations, at the cost of Lady Ellinor Campbell. A parliamentary school has been established at Ballygrant, in Kilmeny, of which the master has a salary of £35; two schools are supported by the Gaelic Society; and near Bridgend is a female school, supported by Mrs. Campbell, who allows the teacher a house and garden, and a salary of £12. There are in several places various remains of forts, the ancient strongholds of the Macdonalds.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kilarrow Parish Church — Kilarrow Church is a Church of Scotland parish church, overlooking and serving Bowmore on the Isle of Islay.The Round Church mdash;as it is often known was built in 1767. It has a highly unusual circular design, more reminiscent of some churches… … Wikipedia
Kilmeny — KILMENY, a large quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Kilarrow, district of Islay, county of Argyll, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Portaskaig; containing 1756 inhabitants. This district is in the north eastern part of the island of Islay, and is… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Killarrow — KILLARROW, county of Argyll. See Kilarrow and Kilmeny … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Islay — Infobox Scottish island | coordinates= GridReference=NR370598 celtic name=Ìle norse name=Yula Oy/Il meaning of name= Old Norse for Yula s isle area=61,956 ha area rank=5 highest elevation= Beinn Bheigier 491 m Population=3,457 population rank=7… … Wikipedia